Today I completed a short side-quest in my learning journey. I added a README.md to my GitHub profile, so now when you visit https://github.com/dowenb/ there is a small custom welcome.
So far I have done a very minimal version based on the GitHub template, and I created it following the official documentation, that you can find here: https://docs.github.com/en/account-and-profile/setting-up-and-managing-your-github-profile/customizing-your-profile/managing-your-profile-readme.
What I’ve learned
- Even a first draft deserves to be spell-checked, as small mistakes stand out.
- The default template doesn’t have very appropriate emojis for all the examples.
- The emoji keyboard in Windows 10 is tricky to work and the results don’t look the same on GitHub.
- Friends tell you when you’ve made a spelling mistake, in public. Thank you Philip Kendall.
- Great friends tell you in private and give you deeper, actionable feedback. Thank you Lisi Hocke!